Membership shall consist of companies that manufacture wood parts. Membership shall be limited to those manufacturers who operate woodworking plants in North America (US, Canada, Mexico) that add significant value in processing wood parts.
Member Programs & Benefits
The WCMA offers several ways to create and identify new business opportunities for member companies.
- Sales inquiries - Sales leads from component buyers are received by the WCMA on a daily basis. The WCMA responds to each inquiry by faxing or e-mailing the customer a list of WCMA members who can produce the component products sought. The specifics of each sales inquiry are forwarded to WCMA members by e-mail or fax.
- Website Source Guide - The WCMA Source Guide uses a Member Match™ database system that can compare a component buyer's needs with our member profiles. This Member Match™ service is provided free of charge to all dimension and component buyers who visit our website. Information from these potential component buyers is sent to all WCMA members for follow up.
- Website Member Listing - All members are listed on the WCMA website with contact information and a link directly to each member's website.
- Networking - Membership with the WCMA is a great way to meet and network with others in the component manufacturing industry. WCMA meetings and events offer time to network with fellow members and exchange ideas on manufacturing related issues. Many WCMA members also take advantage of the opportunities to do business with each other.
The WCMA sponsors several promotional programs for the purpose of promoting the products of our industry and generating more business for our members. Our promotional activities include:
- Trade Shows - The WCMA exhibits at no less than 6 domestic and international trade shows each year with displays highlighting the various products produced by WCMA member companies. Free copies of the WCMA's Wood Components Buyer's Guide are distributed to interested component buyers and users who visit the association's booth. Sales leads are collected for specific component needs and are passed along to all WCMA members for follow up.
- Wood Components Buyer's Guide - The WCMA's Buyer's Guide is published as a special section in Wood & Wood Products magazine and all WCMA members receive a free listing including contact information, products produced, and machining capabilities. Buyers use this handy reference source to identify suppliers who can make the dimension & component products they need. This Buyer's Guide give WCMA member companies broad exposure to a wide variety of wood component buyers.
- Advertisements - The association supports its members through the use of WCMA advertisements placed in the annual directory and buyer's guide issues of the major woodworking magazines.
Fall Conference & Plant Tour Events
The Fall Conference includes an educational program designed to cover important topics of interest to component manufacturers including profitability; costing; markets trends & forecasts; worker safety; certification; human resources; sales & marketing strategies; and technological advances in the industry. WCMA members tour the production facilities of component, furniture, cabinet, millwork, and related manufacturing companies. These plant tours provide WCMA members with a unique opportunity to observe other manufacturing operations and exchange ideas in a friendly atmosphere.
Wood Technology Expo
The WCMA conducts a Wood Technology Expo in conjunction with our Fall Conference. This Wood Technology Expo features educational displays from the leading manufacturers of woodworking machinery, equipment, software, and business solutions. Company representatives discuss the latest developments in woodworking machinery and technology that offer solutions to wood processing challenges for dimension & component manufacturers.
Industry Research & Market Studies
The WCMA conducts a number of technical and market studies to help identify potential new markets and improve a firm's competitive position. These valuable studies are the only ones conducted for the wood component industry and are available to participating member companies free of charge. This gives WCMA members a distinct competitive advantage and the benefits are passed on to their customers through greater production and management efficiencies in the plants.
- Dimension & Components Market Study - This study keeps members informed of current business conditions and industry trends. It is designed to help members identify the major markets for their various wood component products and will also give a good indication of the current and future business trends taking place in the dimension and component manufacturing industry.
- Cost-of-Doing-Business Survey - This survey collects financial information on 25 key financial ratios with comparisons from previous years. It is useful in to our members in helping them manage their company's assets and control their costs-of-doing-business. By comparing your figures to those of other companies in the industry, you can determine how well you're doing in relation to your peers and you can also identify and focus on any specific areas where additional attention is needed.
- Wage & Benefit Survey - This survey allows our member companies to compare their wages and benefits with those of other companies in the industry. It is designed to determine the average wage and salaries paid to employees in different job classifications in the dimension and component manufacturing industry.
- Rules & Specifications for Dimension and Woodwork - The WCMA establishes and maintains rules for measurement and the inspection of component products. A necessary addition to any plants, the Rulebook covers dimension and component grading rules, tolerances, and claim procedures for domestic and export trade. It also serves as a guideline for buyers of dimension and component products when specifying their component products.
Multiple Employer Plan (MEP) - Retirement Plan
As a member of WCMA, you have the opportunity to enroll in the WCMA MEP. An MEP is a retirement plan for businesses that typically have a common interest but are not commonly owned. These businesses are referred to as "Adopting Employers" when they elect to join the MEP. The program offers:
- 90+ investment options
- Risk-based and target-date asset allocation funds
- Qualified Default Investment Alternatives (QDIAs)
- Innovative lifetime income distribution options
- Award-winning investment education
- Extensive fiduciary support through optional offerings
Newsletters and Industry Updates
Newsletters are published to provide our members with useful information concerning WCMA activities and meetings; general business conditions; equipment & products for sale, and major industry developments. Industry updates are sent to all WCMA members on a regular basis via email and provide timely updates on issues affecting component manufacturers. These updates often include statistical data, interesting articles, labor relations news, etc.
The WCMA works closely with our allied associations to protect the wood products industry from unfair or unwarranted legislation or regulations that would have an adverse effect on our industry. The WCMA has been actively involved in removing international trade barriers, wood dust regulations, and the timber supply issue.
Membership is open to any wood component product manufacturer who operates a manufacturing plant in the United States or Canada and is adequately equipped for processing wood into dimension stock or wood component parts for sale to outside customers.
Value of WCMA Membership